Just be.

Just be.

Saturday, November 23, 2013

fire and water

In October I finally made my retreat to the Abbey of Gethsemani in Trappist, KY. Near Louisville. One of the oldest Cistercian monastic communities in North America. Home to the prolific spiritual writer and monk Thomas Merton.

As my driver dropped me off a sense of anticipation and also a bit of foreboding ran through my consciousness. The gate read: GOD ALONE. What exactly does this mean? I think it might mean that in the end we have to find God all by ourselves. We come into this world alone and we leave alone. You might have 1,000 mourners at your funeral but nobody will jump into your casket with you.

I waited eight years to make this journey and the silent retreat was moving. Saint Francis said, "Go and preach the Gospel everywhere and when necessary use words." So true. What words
were said at the monastery had depth and weight.

The monks start their prayers at 3:15AM each day 365 days a year, decade after decade. Are the prayers keeping the world together? who can say. But I sleep sounder thinking of my friend Brother Luke praying for all of us.

No comments: